We had a quick catch up with Joe, in the lead up to his release on Aman Ellis’s label Wonder Stories.. The ‘Cloud Nine’ Ep will be out on wax out on the 25th of June
1.Three house heroes you’d like to invite to dinner and why?
Larry Levan, Ron Trent and Frankie Knuckles. Why? Come on that’s the holy trinity right there. Imagine the after dinner party…
2. Have you ever missed a flight? What happened? Actually, no. I’m way too anal about being punctual for that. I’m much more consistent with my belongings not making it onto the flight with me.
3. Favourite sandwich? I’m a sucker for an M&S breakfast triple: Sausage, egg & bacon. When your hanging on the train back from a gig, there is no greater comfort…
4.Three fav tracks you’re playing right now. 400 Blows – Movin Lovebirds – Dove Sei Field of Dreams – Our House (Clandestino Remix)
5. Top 10 disco classics Ha, almost impossible. This is interchangeable on any given day, but for today let’s go with: Jean Carn – Was That All It Was Salsoul Orchestra – Love Break MFSB – Love Is The Message Skyy – First Time Around Chic – Le Freak Inner Life – Make It Last Forever Peech Boys – Don’t Make Me Wait Geraldine Hunt – Can’t Fake The Feeling Loose Joints – Is It All Over My Face Hamilton Bohannon – Let’s Start The Dance
6. 5 if all else fails records. Depends on the situation, but any of the following usually rescue a floor: Metro Area – Muira Moodymann – Shades of Jae Tullio Piscopo – Stop Bajon Fleetwood
Mac – Everywhere Rhythm Is Rhythm – Strings Of Life
7. 5 records you never leave home without Paper Music – Downtime Photon Inc – Generate Power (DJ Pierre Remix) Alison Smith – Love Endeavour (Maurice Fulton Remix) Robert Armani – Circus Bells (Hardfloor
Remix) Blackjoy – Moustache
8. Who are you? Still trying to figure that out myself.
9. Top 5 edits Urgh, edits. Is there actually a good one? I have a rule that if it a track has an edit, it’s usually good enough in the first place not to need one.
10.If you were in a toilet for 3 minutes with someone what would you say about yourself? Get the hell out mate, I’m trying to take a piss?
11. What was on your best rider ever? Rider? Good one. No, seriously the best one wasn’t technically my rider. I did a gig in Ireland years ago playing after a band who were flavour of the month at the time, your typical stroppy moody types. They did their set and came back to the green room pissed off about something and just bailed leaving their massive rider on the table. I’m talking salmon sandwiches, cold meats, champagne, ciders, beers, vodka, whiskey, hot towels. Well I wasn’t just going to leave it all there…
12. Worst ever request while playing? I spent years DJing on Leeds bar circuit and believe me, I’ve heard them all. The aggressive
R&B demands, the inappropriate trance requests, the sweet ones who just want their favourite song, the comedy ironic ones from guys who think they are funny… I always try and be polite though, unless you are rude to me then you’ll get the stare.